It is said that one never recovers from an addiction. You either are an addict or a recovering addict. Interesting don’t you think?
I am a recovering addict. My addiction? Phones! Mobile phones to be precise. I am a lover of these hand-held contraptions. I simply can’t get enough of them! And my favourite of them all obviously is NOKIA. Dunno why. Just love it. (Btw this was in drafts…so not my style!)
So just how many have I had? (And mind you I aint bragging here!)
- My 1st ever phone was a Sagem. Can’t remember the make. Where did it end up? I think I sold it to my uncle or something.
- Later, I ‘found’ a Nokia 3210 somewhere! It was conned off me! :p
- So when I was foneless for a while I got myself a Nokia 1110. It bored me very fast…
- So I got a Motorolla flap phone. Can’t remember the make. Even that, within months was a bore,…so I moved on,
- I got myself a Motorolla L6i. From what I can remember, I liked it since it had radio…something that was rare in Moto fones! That one was stolen!
- Angry and disappointed, I went ahead and grabbed a Nokia 2310. My mom ensured I got a cheap one. It didnt last.
- In my upgrading moods..I went behind her back and got myself a Samsung Drogba…remember that one? Yep!! That one was mysteriously lost! After a day!!! I think I left it in a loo somewhere. SMH!! Stupid idiot I was!
- Then later, recovering from that shock, I got a Nokia 1650. Don’t ask me how I remember mpaka the makes! This one stayed for a while…till my buddy decided to get drunk and flush it! Gai fafa!!
- He replaced it with a silly Alcatel that I wonder why I’m even mentioning! NKT! I reverted to my Nokia 2310 which was (thanks to dear mommy-who I know has a better memory than I do-ensured I kept)
- Then I upgraded to a sweet, sexy Samsung M620. Boy did I love this phone. It stayed for kedo 3 months and then mysteriously disappeared. I aint tellin!
- So I went back again to a Samsung B something something which was an offer and cost me kedo 2k but was a major #FAIL since it kept dying on me! And voila…I snapped.
Disclaimer: Please note that I am deliberately leaving out all manner of china phones in between. I had like three or four of those! #SMHSeriously!
And there is my silly addiction. After all that, and then some, January this year, I got myself a Nokia 7210 Supernova. Shock on me! This has been the LONGEST SERVING and LASTING phone I have ever had. It has lasted for six months, this one being the sixth! She has been loyal to me. Never has she given me that famous White Screen Of Death (WSD), though the battery kufas so quickly because I am also a twitterholic I am a somewhat satisfied customer. They should pay me! And I have no intentions whatsoever for upgrading any time soon. I may have shown the enthusiasm and will to do so, but guess what, I AM A RECOVERING PHONEHOLIC!
I am recovering from my silly addiction. When I bought this phone my pweety Sassy Supernova I christened her “My Microwave”. Why? Because I don’t have a microwave at home. I bought this phone at about Ksh.8,000. And thats about the same price that a decent microwave would go for. So I gave it that name to always remind me that…
if I hadn’t bought it, I could be owning a microwave by now!
Its a reality I have to face every time I use it. So I am happy that I can now somehow reel in my phone addictions. I now stopped stopping at phone vendors who like k-street sex-workers shamelessly showcase the ‘latest’ and ‘newest’ makes and models of phones on every corner of every street in Nairobi. As in esp the lower side of town, there is virtually nowhere you can look without being ‘flashed’ and ‘wooed’ by those nice and tempting bright display cabinets!
Phew! Am done.